And the result is….
Turns out I’m mostly Scandinavian!
Yup. Viking blood flows in these veins.
Vikings… you know, uncouth barbarians. Beserkers. The Scourge of Europe.
I think my mom would not be surprised.
So how does this change my life?
Or why my life makes sense, now…
A Top 10 List
- First of all, I love the show The Vikings. So, yeah, that makes total sense, now. However, if I based my ancestry on the shows I like, I’d be a Dothraki. Or a hobbit.
- Due to my heritage, it turns out that I’m not a hoarder, I am a collector. My people, the Vikings, believed that you needed to collect things. Sure, some would call it ‘looting’, but collecting is really what they were all about. So that’s why I have a love of gathering things up and keeping them forever. It’s harder to explain my love of books as my people basically burned them or ate them.
- I have always loved the legend of Valhalla. I love the fatalistic end to that saga where every great warrior goes out to fight one last battle, a battle they are destined to lose. How epic. How sad. Well, at least now I know why I root for England in the World Cup.
- I don’t rage-quit games, I am actually feeling the beserkergang fill me. When some asshat shoots me from some hidden sniper position on Call of Duty, I’m not being a sore loser, no, I’m calling upon my Viking ancestors to fill me with the anger of Odin so I can have my revenge upon them!
It’s why I like to eat. See, my people didn’t have a lot. It’s why they raided other people. All we had were pickled fish, the odd, sad-looking turnip and mead. Now, while I do like pickled fish, turnips and mead (oddly enough, that should have been a sign of my heritage right there), imagine how my people felt when they sacked Paris and ate croissants, brie cheese and crepes. At that moment, a love of food was burned into their DNA.
- I love to travel. See, contrary to what most people think, the Vikings loved to go sight-seeing. Everywhere. They got to the Black Sea, cruised the Mediterranean and even snuck out to see Canada. Sure, they went there to loot stuff or trade, but it’s still basically the same – My people NEEDED to see the world. Like me.
- I kinda look like this guy. (if, you know, you drink a lot and forget your glasses at home.)
- My favourite character on the Muppets was the Swedish Chef.
- My second favourite NFL team is Minnesota.
- Scotland was ruled by the Vikings for so long, that if you say you’re Scottish, odds are you’re the result of the Picts and Gaels, well, let’s say ‘intermixing’ with the Vikings. And that means, I can still be Scottish! Whoohooo!
So, there you have it. I know what I am. I’m oddly very excited by all of this.
The actual results are below.
58% Scandinavia – Vikings!
28% Finland/NW Russia – Kinda Vikings!
4% Asia (think Uzbekistan) – Errr, maybe where the Vikings pitched a tent once?
4% Irish – cuz, you know, as Silk said, everyone has a bit of Irish in them.
4% English – Due to the fish and chips which my people would have loved.
1% Iberian (that’s Spain) – ah, who knows what happened here.
So that’s it. I will still own my Scottish heritage and proudly wear my kilt, but knowing where I came from has anchored me in the world in a very unexpected way. So if you’ve ever wanting to sort out your true DNA history, I say give Ancestry.ca a look.
What are you?
Uff da! Who knew?